A Primer on Employment Law for Paralegals
?For many paralegals, acting for clients involved a workplace-related matter comprises an important area of their practice. Whether you represent employers or employees, either in Small Claims Court or at the Ministry of Labour, you need a solid foundation in employment law practice and case law to provide effective advocacy for your client.
Each presenter will provide an overview of the key concepts relating to employment agreements, contractor versus employee characterizations, severance packages, and settlement agreements. They also pass on practical information and tips on retainer agreements, client interviews, and more.?
- Review the options for retainer agreements
- Learn how to conduct the initial client interview
- Examine the key components of an employment contract
- Understand the law of wrongful dismissal
- Consider tax and other issues when making a settlement agreement