Impact and Implications of Ontario’s Temporary Ban on Commercial Evictions – OBA Real Property Law Section
On June 17, 2020 the Ontario passed Bill 192, an Act to amend the Commercial Tenancies Act. Bill 192 amends the Commercial Tenancies Act to prohibit certain actions by landlords if the landlord is or would be eligible to receive assistance from the Canada Emergency Commercial Rent Assistance for small businesses program (CECRA) and has not been approved to receive the assistance.
Join our expert faculty to walk through:
- What rights and obligations this creates for tenants and landlords and what ambiguities exist
- How this Legislation affects landlords’ and tenants’ pre‐existing rights under their leases and the Commercial Tenancies Act
- The implications of this for landlords and tenants who have proceeded by way of deferral and abatement agreements in lieu of participating in CECRA
- The Legislation’s impact on existing and prospective default proceedings
- Landlord’s obligations if they have already exercised their rights under the Commercial Tenancies Act
If your client is a landlord or a tenant, then you won’t want to miss this insightful discussion of how Bill 192 will impact their rights, obligations, remedies and relationships.
The session will be chaired by WeirFoulds Partner Lisa Bosook, and program speakers include Partners Krista Chaytor and Karsten Lee.
Visit cbapd.org to learn more and register.