Janet Sim is a partner in the Estates, Trusts and Charities Practice Group at WeirFoulds. She has been recognized as one of the best lawyers in Canada in her practice area since 2011 by Best Lawyers, and repeatedly recommended as a leading practitioner in Estate and Personal Tax Planning in the Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory.
Her practice focuses on estate planning and administration, mental incompetency issues, domestic contracts, commercial and personal trusts, charities and not-for-profit corporations.
Janet is an editor of Widdifield on Executors and Trustees and was formerly the Chair of both the National and Ontario Wills, Estates & Trusts Sections of the Canadian Bar Association. She was also a former co-editor of the Ontario Section’s quarterly newsletter and is a member of the Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (STEP).
Janet was an instructor at the Law Society of Ontario – Bar Admission Course in the Estate Planning and Administration area for a number of years and has spoken extensively to community groups, employee groups and at conferences for the Canadian Bar Association, the Law Society of Ontario and other sponsors.
Janet’s clients include many prominent Canadian families and individuals, financial planning firms and advisors, corporate trustees, corporations, owner-managers, family businesses, and charitable organizations.
- Repeatedly recognized in the Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory as a leading practitioner in Estate & Personal Tax Planning – Estate Litigation.
- Repeatedly recognized by Best Lawyers in Canada as a leading lawyer in Trusts and Estates.
- Expert Guides: The Legal Media Group Guides to the World’s Leading Lawyers, 2017-2018: Trust and Estates.
- Expert Guides: The Legal Media Group Guides to the World’s Leading Lawyers, 2017-2018: Women in Business Law.
Called to the Bar
- Ontario, 1982
- LL.B., Queen's University
- B.Ed., Queen's University
- B.A./B.P.H.E., Queen's University
- Canadian Bar Association
- Law Society of Ontario
- Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners
- Toronto Estates Senior Practitioners Group
- Estate Planning Council (past)
Queen’s University Council, Elected Representative
Director, The Foster Hewitt Foundation
Director, The Cawthra Mulock Foundation
In the News
Quoted in the following Globe & Mail articles:
“The feud-free way to co-own a cottage with your family”, Brenda Bouw, June 19, 2018
“Estate Planning: Is your dog or cat in the family will?”, Brenda Bouw, May 16, 2018
“How transferring wealth from parents to kids can rip families apart”, Brenda Bouw, April 7, 2017