Lori Duffy specializes in wills, trusts, estate planning and charities and heads the firm's Estates, Trusts and Charities practice.
She has been named by Best Lawyers® as one of the best lawyers in Canada in her practice area, and repeatedly recognized as a leading practitioner in Estate & Personal Tax Planning in the Canadian Legal Lexpert® Directory.
Lori assists the firm’s clients in managing and transferring their assets through the use of business succession plans, trusts and wills. She assists in the establishing of charities and non-profit organizations. Her practice also includes all areas of trusts, wills and estate administration, including work under the Substitute Decisions Act.
Lori is the Ontario Editor of the Estate & Trust Reports (Carswell). Lori also authors an electronic newsletter through Carswell publications called, WeirFoulds Estates & Trusts. Lori was co-editor of the Ontario Bar Association Trusts and Estates section newsletter Deadbeat and was the editor of Without Prejudice, the Women’s Law Association newsletter (1989-91). She is a member of the Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (STEP). Lori is a Past President of the Canadian Association of Women Executives and Entrepreneurs; a former member of the Executive of the Women’s Law Association of Ontario; and the former Vice-Chairperson of the Real Property Section of the Ontario Bar Association. She has been a seminar instructor at the Bar Admission Course, has lectured in many seminars for the Canadian Bar Association, the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Institute, the International Bar Association, and regularly addresses community groups.
- Repeatedly recognized by Best Lawyers in Canada (2013-2018) as a leading lawyer in Trust and Estates
- Repeatedly recognized in the Canadian Legal Lexpert® Directory (2014-2018) as a leading lawyer in Estate & Personal Tax Planning (Estate & Tax Planning)
- Recognized with Lexpert® Zenith Award (2013) celebrating women leaders in the legal profession
Adjunct Professor, University of Toronto Law School, teaching the Wills and Estates law course
Called to the Bar
- Ontario (1984)
- LL.M., Osgoode Hall Law School, 2009
- ADR Certificate of Achievement, University of Windsor/Stitt Feld Handy Group, 2009
- LL.B., University of Ottawa, 1982
- B.A., McMaster University, 1979
- Estate Planning Council Of Toronto
- Canadian Association of Women Executives and Entrepreneurs
- National Association of Women Lawyers
- Women's Law Association of Ontario
- Ontario Bar Association
- International Bar Association
- Toronto Lawyers Association
- Society of Trusts & Estates Practitioners (STEP)
- The ADR Institute of Ontario Inc.
Toronto Association for Community Living – Planned Giving Committee
Providence Healthcare Foundation – Planned Giving Committee
Women in Philanthropy for Providence (WIPP)
Providence Healthcare Foundation
The Martin Aboriginal Education Initiative