Maralynne Monteith is Co-Chair of the firm's Tax Practice Group. She has a diverse practice founded on her in-depth experience in both income tax and commodity tax matters.
Maralynne has a broad-based tax practice in the areas of income and commodity taxes, both federal and provincial, and corporate and personal.
She completed the Canadian Institute of Chartered Accountants’ In-depth Tax Course and provides tax and corporate support to the firm’s Estates and Trusts Practice Group.
Maralynne also provides tax advice to charitable and other not-for-profit entities, as well as employees and independent contractors.
Acted for Honeywell (NYSE:HON) in the acquisition by plan of arrangement of COM DEV International Ltd. (TSX:CDV), a leading satellite and space components provider of switches and multiplexers. February 2016.
Maralynne has provided tax advice from initial planning to implementation, when appropriate working with Canadian tax accountants and Non-Canadian tax advisors, in connection with:
Strategic mergers, acquisitions and divestitures of operating businesses;
Multi-jurisdictional employee compensation packages;
Special tax issues associated with not-for-profit and charities;
Goods and services tax, Harmonized sales tax, and other Ontario provincial taxes support and advice; and
Estate and business succession planning.
- Worldwide Registry for Excellence in Tax Law, 2015
- Martindale-Hubbell DistinguishedSM
- Maralynne lectured and participated in a sophisticated case study annually at the Canadian Bar Association programme “Tax Law for Lawyers” since its inception in 1995 until 2015.
- Canadian Institute of Chartered Accountants, In-depth Tax Course, (1982)
Called to the Bar
- Ontario (1980)
- J.D., University of Toronto, 1978
- B.Comm. (Hons.), Queen's University, 1975
- Executive Development Program, Kellogg School of Management, Northwestern University, 1988
- Canadian Tax Foundation - Member
- Canadian Bar Association - Member
- Ontario Bar Association - Member
- The ADR Institute of Ontario Inc. - Member
Past Member of the Board of Directors of the Toronto Board of Trade
Past Chair of Taxation Committee of the Toronto Board of Trade
Past Co-Chair of the Governance Committee of the Toronto Board of Trade
Past Member of the Policy Committee of the Toronto Board of Trade
Past Member of the Economic Development Committee of the Toronto Board of Trade