Maralynne Monteith is Co-Chair of the firm's Tax Practice Group. She has a diverse practice founded on her in-depth experience in both income tax and commodity tax matters servicing domestic and international clients.
Maralynne has a broad-based tax practice in the areas of income and commodity taxes, both federal and provincial, including domestic and international taxation, GST/HST, financing, transfer pricing and other cross-border issues, both corporate and personal and both in-bound and out-bound Canada. She has completed the Canadian Institute of Chartered Accountants’ In-depth Tax Course and has extensive experience in the negotiation and implementation of commercial and financing transactions across a wide spectrum of industries, for both private and public companies, their employees and independent contractors and also provides tax advice to charitable and other not-for-profit entities. She also co-mediates estates disputes.
Prior to joining WeirFoulds LLP, she also spent over four years as the senior in-house tax counsel for the Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce and managed the in-house tax counsel group, providing domestic and international tax advisory services to the CIBC group of companies worldwide.
Acted for Honeywell (NYSE:HON) in the acquisition by plan of arrangement of COM DEV International Ltd. (TSX:CDV), a leading satellite and space components provider of switches and multiplexers. February 2016.
Maralynne has provided tax advice from initial planning to implementation, when appropriate working with Canadian tax accountants and Non-Canadian tax advisors, in connection with:
Strategic mergers, acquisitions and divestitures of operating businesses by Canadians and non-Canadians;
IPO and flow-through share and warrant offerings;
Multiple and multi-jurisdictional financings and lending facilities;
Private placements, fund offerings;
Capitalization, structuring and profit repatriation and associated aspects of business and investment expansion into Canada and outside of Canada;
Transfer pricing strategies;
Multi-jurisdictional employee compensation packages;
Special tax issues associated with not-for-profit and charities;
Goods and services tax, Harmonized sales tax, and other Ontario provincial taxes support and advice;
Estate and business succession planning;
Co-mediation of estates disputes.
- Worldwide Registry for Excellence in Tax Law, 2015
- Martindale-Hubbell DistinguishedSM
- Maralynne lectured and participated in a sophisticated case study annually at the Canadian Bar Association programme “Tax Law for Lawyers” since its inception in 1995 until 2015.
- Canadian Institute of Chartered Accountants, In-depth Tax Course, (1982)
Called to the Bar
- Ontario (1980)
- J.D., University of Toronto, 1978
- B.Comm. (Hons.), Queen's University, 1975
- Executive Development Program, Kellogg School of Management, Northwestern University, 1988
- ADR Certificate of Achievement, University of Windsor/Stitt Feld Handy Group, 2009
- Canadian Tax Foundation - Member
- Canadian Bar Association - Member
- Ontario Bar Association - Member
- The ADR Institute of Ontario Inc. - Member
Past Member of the Board of Directors of the Toronto Board of Trade
Past Chair of Taxation Committee of the Toronto Board of Trade
Past Co-Chair of the Governance Committee of the Toronto Board of Trade
Past Member of the Policy Committee of the Toronto Board of Trade
Past Member of the Economic Development Committee of the Toronto Board of Trade