Peter Gross is a Partner in WeirFoulds' Municipal Law Practice Group with a focus on municipal and land use planning law.
Recognized by the Law Society of Ontario as a Certified Specialist in Municipal Law: Planning and Development, Peter provides strategic and practical advice helping clients navigate complex development approval processes and obtain timely and cost-effective results.
Peter routinely works with teams of planning and technical experts to ensure that development applications satisfy the requirements of the Province’s policy-led planning regime, regulatory requirements, and all applicable legislation. Peter also liaises with municipal staff to proactively resolve issues and facilitate submission and processing of development applications.
Peter frequently appears before various land use tribunals and courts representing clients on a wide range of land use planning appeals and defense of regulatory prosecutions.
Peter acts on behalf of private individuals and commercial developers to obtain development approvals from municipal authorities, including:
- Minor Variances
- Consents to Sever
- Site Plan Approvals
- Zoning by-law Amendments
- Official Plan Amendments
- Plans of Subdivision
Peter regularly appears before the Local Planning Appeal Tribunal (formerly, the Ontario Municipal Board) and the Toronto Local Appeal Body representing clients in appeals pursuant to the Planning Act.
Peter also has experience with respect to development approvals under the Niagara Escarpment Planning and Development Act and appeals before the Niagara Escarpment Hearing Office.
Peter frequently advises industrial clients concerning land use compatibility issues, including regulatory compliance in regard to noise, odour and air emissions. He has extensive experience negotiating and drafting complex settlement agreements to resolve incompatibility between existing industrial uses and proposed sensitive uses.
- 1143341 Ontario Inc., Re, 2021 CarswellOnt 5391
- CAMPP Windsor Essex Residents Association v. City of Windsor, 2021 ONSC 3456
- Shoihet, Re, 2021 CarswellOnt 7054
- CAMPP Windsor Essex Residents Association v. Windsor (City), 2020 ONSC 4612
- CAMPP Windsor Essex Residents Association v. Windsor (City), 2019 CarswellOnt 20198
- Brimley Progress Developments Inc. v Toronto (City), 2017 CanLII 72921
- Smith v Caledon (Town), 2017 CanLII 54422
- Valeh v Toronto (City), 2017 CanLII 87378
- Meloche v Windsor (City), 2017 CanLII 43996
- Windsor Christian Fellowship v. Windsor (City), 2016 CanLII 90879
- Young v Ontario (Natural Resources and Forestry), 2015 CanLII 56006
- Boyce v. Norfolk (County), 2015 CanLII 68514
- Harstone v. Niagara Escarpment Commission, 2012 CarswellOnt 6084
- Repeatedly recognized by Best Lawyers in Canada as a leading lawyer in Municipal Law
- Citizen Director, Toronto Lands Corporation, 2021
- Chair, Ontario Bar Association, Municipal Section Executive, 2019
- Vice Chair, Ontario Bar Association, Municipal Section Executive, 2018
- Secretary, Ontario Bar Association, Municipal Section Executive, 2015
- Member-at-Large, Ontario Bar Association, Municipal Section Executive, 2014
Called to the Bar
- Ontario (2011)
- State of Washington (1995)
- J.D., Seattle University School of Law, 1995
- B.Sc., Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, 1990
- Law Society of Ontario
- Washington State Bar Association