Robert Warren is recognized as one of Canada's leading regulatory lawyers, specializing in the regulation of the energy sector.
Robert’s practice is in the field of public law advocacy, specializing in energy law. He has extensive experience before provincial and federal regulatory agencies, and on appeals and judicial review applications from the decisions of those agencies. His experience extends to policy matters, and he has prepared briefs for private and public interest groups on pending federal and provincial legislation.
He is one of the province’s most experienced lawyers in the field of energy regulation. He has appeared as counsel in many Ontario Energy Board proceedings since 1991. In addition, he has advised clients on all facets of the restructuring of the electricity and natural gas markets in Ontario.
He has been recognized in the 2016 and 2017 editions of Benchmark Canada, the Guide to Canada’s Leading Litigation Firms and Attorneys. He is also continuously recognized as by Best Lawyers in Canada and Lexpert as a leading lawyer in his field.
Robert has advised municipalities on the governance arrangements with their electricity distribution utilities, for both commercial arrangements and regulatory proceedings. He has represented municipalities in regulatory proceedings dealing with the rates and services provided by electricity distribution utilities, including utilities owned by the municipalities.
Robert is the author, alone or with Dan Ferguson, of a number of papers and seminar presentations on issues related to governance in the electricity sector.
- Repeatedly recognized by Best Lawyers in Canada as a leading lawyer in Energy Regulatory Law and Transportation Law
- Repeatedly recognized by the Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory as a leading lawyer in electricity and transportation law
- Recognized in 2016 and 2017 Benchmark Canada, the Guide to Canada’s Leading Litigation Firms and Attorneys
- Recognized by in the 2017 Lexpert Special Edition – Energy
- Recognized as a leading infrastructure lawyer in the 2015 Lexpert Special Edition – Infrastructure
- Recognized by Best Lawyers in Canada 2013 as Toronto Lawyer of the Year in Energy Regulatory Law
Called to the Bar
- Ontario (1977)
- LL.B., University of Toronto, 1975
- B.A., University of Oxford, 1972
- B.A., University of Montreal, 1970
- Ontario Bar Association
- Canadian Transport Lawyers' Association
- Canadian Association of Rhodes Scholars
- Council for Clean & Reliable Energy