Robert Warren is recognized as one of Canada's leading regulatory lawyers. He specializes in the energy, environmental and transportation fields.
Robert’s practice is in the field of public law advocacy, specializing in energy, environmental and transportation law. He has extensive experience before provincial and federal regulatory agencies, and on appeals and judicial review applications from the decisions of those agencies. His experience extends to policy matters, and he has prepared briefs for private and public interest groups on pending federal and provincial legislation.
He is one of the province’s most experienced lawyers in the field of energy regulation. He has appeared as counsel in all major Ontario Energy Board proceedings since 1991. In addition, he has advised clients on all facets of the restructuring of the electricity and natural gas markets in Ontario.
Robert’s environmental law practice includes advising clients on compliance with federal and provincial environmental protection laws, including municipal by-laws, and on the creation and operation of environmental management systems. He is external counsel to Environmental Protection Review Canada, and a member of the Council for Clean & Reliable Electricity.
Robert represents some of North America’s largest public vehicle and trucking companies. He is one of Canada’s leading experts in the regulation of the public vehicle industry. He has acted as lead defence counsel in many of the major safety and enforcement cases in the trucking industry.
He has been recognized in the 2016 and 2017 editions of Benchmark Canada, the Guide to Canada’s Leading Litigation Firms and Attorneys. He is also continuously recognized as by Best Lawyers® in Canada and Lexpert as a leading lawyer in his field.
- Repeatedly recognized by Best Lawyers® in Canada as a leading lawyer in Energy Regulatory Law and Transportation Law
- Repeatedly recognized by the Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory as a leading lawyer in electricity and transportation law
- Recognized in 2016 and 2017 Benchmark Canada, the Guide to Canada’s Leading Litigation Firms and Attorneys
- Recognized by in the 2017 Lexpert® Special Edition – Energy
- Recognized as a leading infrastructure lawyer in 2015 Lexpert® Special Edition – Infrastructure
- Recognized by Best Lawyers® in Canada 2013 as Toronto Lawyer of the Year in Energy Regulatory Law
Called to the Bar
- Ontario (1977)
- LL.B., University of Toronto, 1975
- B.A., University of Oxford, 1972
- B.A., University of Montreal, 1970
- Ontario Bar Association
- Canadian Transport Lawyers' Association
- Canadian Association of Rhodes Scholars
- Council for Clean & Reliable Electricity