WeirFoulds has established itself as the premier regional law firm in Ontario, and has provided strategic, cost-effective and innovative legal advice to our clients since 1860. We have thrived by working with our clients to form true partnerships with them in order to ensure that our legal advice addresses their priorities. Our friendly and collaborative culture means WeirFoulds is not only a great place to work, but a great place to develop and thrive. We support and nurture our team enabling you to fulfil your potential and help shape the future of our firm.
We are currently recruiting for a Document Specialist to join our Document Services team in our Toronto office. Reporting to the Supervisor, Legal Support Services, the Specialist works in close collaboration with other members of the Document Services team.
This position requires an individual with strong technical skills in document production, an ability to troubleshoot issues within documents, and someone who has had prior experience working with large legal documents. The successful candidate enjoys working in a fast-paced environment and assisting multiple practice groups in both the litigation and corporate areas of law. It would be advantageous if the successful candidate has had prior working experience as a legal assistant and/or law clerk.
This is a full-time opportunity and a day shift with core work hours of Monday to Friday, 7:00 am – 3:00 pm (ET). There is some flexibility in the shift hours.
The successful candidates will be required to work in the office as this role is seen as an essential service/function in providing support to our legal professionals in meeting our client commitments and deadlines. The successful candidates should rest assured that the firm has implemented the required COVID safety protocols and sanitary measures for staff to be working in the office. We will continue to follow all Government Guidelines around safety in the workplace.
Required Experience and Qualifications
- At least three (3) years of experience in a document production role in a legal environment.
- Completion of a Legal Assistant program and/or prior experience as a Legal Assistant would be an asset.
- Advanced-level technical skills in MS Office 365 applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote and Outlook) and Kofax (PDF).
- Ability to format and process large complex legal documents.
- A team player for whom no task is too small or too large to tackle.
- An understanding of electronic Document Management Systems – iManage.
- Ability to type with a speed of 80-100 words per minute.
- Knowledge of legal terminology, documents and procedures are an asset.
- Strong attention to detail is required, with superior word processing, spelling, grammar, proofreading and editing skills.
- Able to work independently within tight timelines and with the ability to prioritize assignments.
- A willingness to learn and embrace new technology.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, telephone etiquette and a positive outlook.
- Strong communication skills (both verbal and written).
- Provide timely and accurate support to all members of WeirFoulds including:
- document creation, revision and formatting;
- troubleshooting problem documents;
- converting PDFs to Word or Excel documents, and cleaning and formatting the new document (DocXTools);
- repairing corrupt documents in Word, and formatting according to firm standards;
- performing mail merges;
- creating and editing Excel spreadsheets;
- preparing PowerPoint presentations on our firm template and adding animation as required;
- running document comparisons;
- creating PDF packages, with hyperlinks as required.
- Responding and prioritizing Document Services’ email group inquiries and requests in a timely manner.
- Proofreading documents and making necessary changes.
- Providing administrative support to legal professionals which could include docket entry (3E), expense submissions, cheque requisitions (Chrome River), client contact management system updates (InterAction)
- Coordinating workflow and assignments with Document Services team members as
- Transcribing digital/tape dictations.
- Other duties as assigned.
Candidates who meet the above qualifications are asked to apply online providing both a copy of your resume and cover letter. Please click here to apply online.
WeirFoulds welcomes applications from all qualified candidates. We are committed to providing an inclusive work environment composed of people with diverse perspectives backgrounds, identities, and cultures.
Accommodations in accordance with applicable laws are available for applicants with disabilities. If you require an accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please contact Amita Bhika, HR Manager at 647-715-3502.
At WeirFoulds, we recognize that we need to advance and to demonstrate equality, diversity, and inclusion in everything we do, internally and externally. We have been working diligently on several key areas, and we recognize that we must do better. Our goal is to put words into concrete action through a number of specific steps. These are described in our official statement on our commitment to equality, diversity and inclusion, which we are pleased to share.
We thank all candidates for their interest however only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
Wills & Estates Law Clerk
WeirFoulds LLP is seeking a law clerk to join our thriving Wills, Estates, Trusts & Charities Practice Group. The ideal candidate will have:
- At least 4-8 years of experience in all aspects of estate, trusts and capacity litigation and administration
- Post-secondary education with a Law Clerk designation
- Strong technical and legal knowledge
- Ability to work with lawyers and clerks at all levels, excellent interpersonal skills and be a team player
- Confidence to manage multiple complex files at the same time
- Ability to work independently and within tight timelines
- Excellent attention to detail and diligent proofreading skills
- Ability to handle sensitive and confidential information with discretion
- Assisting on all matters concerning guardianships, will challenges and interpretations, power of attorney issues and disputes, passings of accounts, variations of trust, and dependant relief applications as well as the other functions of a law clerk, such as drafting and working with clients
- Ability to assist with establishing charities and non-profit organizations
- Experience with WindUp, an estates accounting system, would be an asset
- Experience with EDT and ACL, would be an asset
The successful candidate will work with our lawyers and other clerks on a variety of challenging and diverse matters, representing clients (including executors, corporate trustees, beneficiaries, financial planning firms and advisors, corporations, owner-managers and family businesses) in managing and assisting with all aspects of administration and disputes.
Please submit your application online, including a cover letter, transcripts, writing sample and your resume. Please click here to apply online.
We thank all candidates for their response, but only those to be considered for an interview will be contacted.
WeirFoulds LLP is an Equal Opportunity Employer that is committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes. In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the Ontario Human Rights Code, WeirFoulds LLP is proud to provide employment accommodation during the recruitment, selection and/or assessment processes. Should you require an accommodation, please inform us as soon as possible by reaching out to Amita Bhika, by phone 416-274-9463, and we will work with you to meet your accessibility needs.
The principles of employment equity, diversity and human rights are an integral part of WeirFoulds corporate culture. In part, this stems from the fact that we have strong roots in Canada and the Greater Toronto Area, and our people reflect our Canadian identity. WeirFoulds continues to strive to be a fully integrated multicultural firm. We adhere to strict principles to provide an open and inclusive workplace for our lawyers and support staff. We welcome applications from all qualified candidates.