WeirFoulds has established itself as the premier regional law firm in Ontario, and has provided strategic, cost-effective and innovative legal advice to our clients since 1860. We have thrived by working with our clients to form true partnerships with them in order to ensure that our legal advice addresses their priorities.
The Legal Administrative Support (LAS) role is a junior position and would be suitable for recent graduates of a Legal Assistant or Legal Administration program who have had at least one year of litigation work experience.
This is an exciting opportunity for an individual who wants to kick start their legal career at a downtown Toronto law firm, enjoys fast paced environments and wants to learn and expand their skill sets under the close mentorship of seasoned litigation assistants. In this position, the LAS will be responsible for providing legal support to a team of Legal Assistants in busy Litigation practice groups. The position offers a broad range of responsibilities and challenges that will utilize one’s strong litigation knowledge and build solid practice management skills. The successful candidate will demonstrate initiative, strong communication and organizational skills, with a desire to work in a team environment and promote a client first focused culture.
This is a full-time opportunity with core work hours of Monday to Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Required Qualifications & Education
- At least one (1) to two (2) years of litigation experience is required.
- Post-secondary education with a Legal Assistant or Legal Administration designation.
- Proficient with legal software and MS Office 2010 (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint).
- Thorough understanding of legal terminology.
- Strong working knowledge of the Rules of Civil Procedure is required.
- Excellent time management, organizational, prioritization and follow-up skills.
- Excellent attention to detail, accuracy and proofreading skills.
- Ability to work independently and within tight timelines.
- Ability to take initiative and be resourceful. A positive and enthusiastic approach to day-to-day workflow is considered an asset
- Strong interpersonal skills and an excellent team player.
- Strong communication skills (both verbal and written).
- Passionate about providing quality service and work product to clients.
- Preparing various legal documents with the guidance of legal assistants/ lawyers (pleadings, notices of motion, facta, etc.), presentations and correspondence, and ensuring that they are in proper format and accurate.
- Compiling records and briefs with the guidance of legal assistants in the practice group.
- Arranging for service of legal documents and filing with proper courts.
- Typing general correspondence and various legal documents from handwritten notes, phone or oral instructions.
- Continually assessing and establishing work priorities as needed.
- Opening, maintaining and closing files electronically in the document management system (iMange/FileSite) and/or physically. This might include filing of hard copies of documents or notes as well as making labels.
- Helping the assistants with monthly client billings, including reviewing entries for accuracy and completeness. This might include: printing pre-bills, reviewing and making changes to pre-bills, drafting write-off forms or trust transfers.
- Entering dockets and/or expenses for the lawyers from time-to-time.
- New file opening; setting up files and preparing folders/labels as requested.
- Submitting cheque requisitions and working closely with the Finance team on these requests.
- Helping assistants to close files which might include scanning, boxing or indexing of files to be sent to off-site storage.
- Helping assistants with large print, copy or scan jobs.
- Digital transcriptions.
- Entering and updating client contact lists.
- Providing coverage support at various desks in the practice group when assistants are on vacation or there is an unplanned absence due to illness, etc.
- Other duties as assigned.
Candidates who meet the above qualifications are asked to apply online. Please click here to apply online.
WeirFoulds LLP is an Equal Opportunity Employer that is committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes. In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the Ontario Human Rights Code, WeirFoulds LLP is proud to provide employment accommodation during the recruitment, selection and/or assessment processes. Should you require an accommodation, please inform us as soon as possible by reaching out to Amita Bhika, Human Resources Advisor, by email email@example.com or by phone 416-365-1110, and we will work with you to meet your accessibility needs.
The principles of employment equity, diversity and human rights are an integral part of WeirFoulds corporate culture. In part, this stems from the fact that we have strong roots in Canada and the Greater Toronto Area, and our people reflect our Canadian identity. WeirFoulds continues to strive to be a fully integrated multicultural firm. We adhere to strict principles to provide an open and inclusive workplace for our lawyers and support staff. We welcome applications from all qualified candidates. We thank all those who apply. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.