Progressive legislative changes with respect to medical and recreational cannabis have accelerated Canada to the forefront of the global cannabis economy. From 2016’s Access to Cannabis for Medical Purposes Regulations, to the 2018 legalization of recreational cannabis throughout the country, the federal government’s recent mandate has quickly given rise to a multi-billion dollar cannabis industry. In the rush to market, provincial governments have unveiled unique and complex regulatory regimes regarding the distribution, sale and production of cannabis. As a result of the shifting regulatory landscape, businesses have struggled to navigate the budding cannabis space.
The Cannabis Group at WeirFoulds has advised early to market cannabis businesses and has stood alongside our clients as the Canadian cannabis industry continues to evolve. We provide practical expertise and advice to public/private companies, mid-market investment banks, venture capital funds and entrepreneurs. Drawing on our corporate and securities law expertise, our Cannabis Group advises clients on, among other things, becoming licensed producers, seed financings, equity and debt financings, acquisitions, regulatory compliance, commercial leasing, taxation and employment matters.
From the initial financing stage to production and distribution, our professionals are devoted to providing legal solutions to assist you in building your cannabis business, including assisting you to understand the nuances of the developing regulatory regime in this area.
We share your enthusiasm for this industry and appreciate the challenges of operating a business in this developing space. The Cannabis Group at WeirFoulds is committed to providing legal solutions as diverse as the cannabis industry itself.
Meet our lawyers and professionals in this area
Representative engagements include:
- Advising licensed producers and applicants on various transactions, including equity and debt financings, shareholders agreements and employment matters.
- Acting on ongoing public transactions concerning cannabis companies, including by way of qualifying transactions and reverse takeover transactions.
- Acting for clients in connection with various intellectual property and licensing matters relating to cannabis technology and businesses.
- Acting for various national and provincially based clients in connection with various leasing matters related to cannabis businesses.
- Acting for clients in connection with municipal land use approvals for cannabis facilities.