Whether raising money in the capital markets or arranging debt financing, it is essential to be supported by legal advisers who have deep knowledge of all forms of financing methods and their implementation.
WeirFoulds assists public and private corporations, financial institutions and growth-oriented businesses with raising money in the Canadian and U.S. capital markets. We have extensive experience assisting clients with initial public offerings, secondary offerings, private placements, and alternative financing methods. We also assist clients with public debt issuances, shelf prospectus offerings and debt programmes. In addition, we serve as ongoing counsel to numerous clients, providing advice on securities compliance in areas such as trading, registration, disclosure and settlement.
Our securities litigation team has extensive experience in dealing with various securities regulators in both compliance and enforcement proceedings, including the Ontario Securities Commission, the Investment Industry Regulatory Organization of Canada, the Financial Services Commission of Ontario and the Mutual Fund Dealers Association of Canada. Our comprehensive securities litigation practice includes the defense of professional negligence and breach of fiduciary duty actions, class actions, shareholder actions, and other securities-related civil proceedings.
We take a multi-disciplinary approach to our securities files, engaging our corporate, securities, tax, commercial and regulatory experts as necessary to ensure our clients receive excellent advice that is tailored to their needs.
Meet our lawyers and professionals in this area
Areas of Expertise
- Commercial paper
- Conventional bought deals
- Convertible debt
- Covered bond programs
- Debt capital
- Overnight market offerings
- Private placements
- Public offerings
- Registration (Learn about our Registration Services Program)
- Reverse takeovers
- Securitized and asset-backed debt
- Shelf prospectus offerings
- TSX requirements
- Represented StageZero Life Sciences Ltd. in a $4.6M public offering.
- Represented Antibe Therapeutics Inc. in a $28.75M public offering.
- Represented the former controller of Nortel Networks on litigation and other proceedings arising out of the restatement of Nortel’s financial statements, the largest such re-statement in Canadian history.
- Represented the former President, CEO and Director of YBM Magnex International, Inc. in all litigation in Ontario, including Ontario Securities Commission proceedings. Royal Trust Corp. of Canada v. Fisherman (2000), 49 O.R. (3d) 187 (S.C.J.).
- Acted for the securities dealer in Re E.A. Manning Limited v. Ontario Securities Commission (1995), 23 O.R. (3d) 257 (C.A.). All members of the Ontario Securities Commission appointed before a particular date were prevented from presiding at a disciplinary hearing because of apprehended bias.
- Acted for the plaintiff in Ainsley Financial Corp. v. Ontario Securities Commission (1994), 21 O.R. (3d) 104 (C.A.) which dealt with the administrative law principles concerning the jurisdiction of a tribunal to make policies/rules. It gave rise to a Task Force which made recommendations, since acted upon, for sweeping amendments to the Securities Act.
- Acted in the landmark case that determined the constitutional point of law that would allow the Government of Canada to establish a federal securities commission with jurisdiction across the country. Multiple Access Ltd. v. McCutcheon,  2 S.C.R. 161.
- Acted for a syndicate of underwriters consisting of GMP Securities L.P. (TSE: GMP), Paradigm Capital Inc., INFOR Financial Inc. and Cormark Securities Inc. in connection with a $30M bought deal private placement of Dealnet Capital Corp. (TSX:DLS).