Whether operating in Canada or abroad, mining companies must take care to comply with international and domestic laws and guidelines, and demonstrate their commitment to social responsibility. As global demand for resources continues to escalate, new mines will open and existing mining operations will be modernized. The continued strength of the Canadian mining industry has made Toronto the centre of the world mining industry’s financial markets. Risk mitigation is key, and it is essential to engage legal counsel that has deep knowledge of the business and legal requirements applicable to the resource industry that can assist you with issues and matters that span the mining sector.
Our lawyers act for domestic and international mining companies that are at all stages of development, from prospecting to production. We serve as ongoing counsel to clients, helping clients raise project finance and achieve merger, acquisition, joint venture and partnership opportunities. We also help them maintain best practices in sensitive areas such as the environment, anti-corruption and bribery, labour relations and Aboriginal engagement, and assist clients with a range of non-transactional matters, such as corporate governance, taxation, title reviews and royalty arrangements.
We take a multi-disciplinary approach to advising mining companies and interested stakeholders. We engage our commercial, corporate, tax, environmental, governance, property and Aboriginal law experts as necessary to ensure clients receive excellent advice that is tailored to their needs.
Meet our lawyers and professionals in this area
Areas of Expertise
- Aboriginal law
- Anti-corruption and bribery policies and programs
- Corporate governance
- Corporate social responsibility
- Joint ventures
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Mineral and surface rights
- Project finance
- Prospecting and permitting
- Acted for Soltoro Ltd. (TSX Venture: SOL) in connection with its successful disposition by plan of arrangement to Agnico Eagle Mines Limited pursuant to which Agnico Eagle acquired 100% of the issued and outstanding common shares of Soltoro for total consideration of approximately C$32 million.
- Acted for Exall Resources Limited (TSX: EXL) in its merger with Southern Star Resources Inc. (TSX: SSR) to form the $800 million gold exploration company Gold Eagles Resources Limited (TSX: GEA).
- Acted as counsel for a TSX listed company in connection with a dissident shareholder action and contested shareholder meeting.
- Acts for a variety of listed companies in Canada (TSX and TSX Venture) that have raised in excess of $750 million in initial and secondary financing over the past 2 years.
- Acted for Amazon Mining Holding PLC, a TSX-V listed resource company, in connection with its $16 Million initial public offering.
- Acted for First Metals Inc., a TSX listed resource company, in connection with its $10 Million initial public offering.
- Acted for the issuer in the acquisition of a Kazakhstan mining company and subsequent listing on the TSX.
- Lead Canadian counsel to Largo Resources Ltd in connection with the negotiation of a new US$55M facility with the same syndicate of Brazilian commercial banks.
- Lead Canadian counsel to Largo Resources Ltd in connection with equity financings in May 2015 and Jan/Feb 2016 for aggregate proceeds of approximately $111.5M (for aggregate equity raised with Largo of approximately $315M over the past 3 years)
- Lead counsel to Grandview Gold Inc., subsequently PUDO Inc., in connection with the reverse take-over of Grandview by My Courier Depot Inc. and subsequent listing on the common shares on the CSE.
- Counsel to Castle Resources Inc. with secondary offerings raising $32.3M in the aggregate and its acquisition of Granduc copper mine in BC.
- Counsel to First Nickel Inc. in connection with its $11.5M Initial Public Offering and TSX Listing and $20M Convertible Note Offering.
- Counsel to Exall Resources Limited with its $433M merger with Southern Star Resources.
- Acted on over $20 million in flow-through and hard dollar private placement financings for Pele Mountain Resources Inc. (TSX-V: GEM)