David Brown is a recognized practitioner in the area of mergers and acquisitions, private equity and corporate finance.
David practises in the areas of Corporate Law, Mergers and Acquisitions and Corporate Finance. He has been named by Best Lawyers® as one of the best lawyers in Canada in the practice area of Corporate Law. He handles all manner of M&A , Private Equity and Debt transactions with an emphasis on:
- private company sales and divestitures;
- middle-market company mergers and acquisitions; and
- the Canadian component of institutional fund purchases and divestitures.
David has also developed an active international practice representing finance firms in New York, Chicago, Frankfurt and London.
David has spoken extensively on the topics of Mergers and Acquisitions transactions and Private Equity investments. He also possesses an admiration for venture stage entrepreneurs and takes on a select number of venture stage engagements each year, providing structuring advice, mentoring and financing contacts to worthy emerging companies. David sits on the board and is an officer of a number of public, private and charitable endeavours.
David has acted on all manners of middle market acquisition, divestitures and refinancing transactions. A detailed deal list is available on request.
Repeatedly recognized by Best Lawyers in Canada as a leading lawyer in Corporate Law
- The Toronto Venture Group – Co-Founder, Past Chairman and Past Member of the Board
- Toronto Angel Group (now Maple Leaf Angels) – Co-Founder and Past Executive Working Group Committee Member
- Private Capital Markets Association of Canada – Co-Founder and President
- Make-A-Wish Foundation – Director
- Licence Suspension Appeals Tribunal – Vice-Chairman, Retired
- Toronto Distress Centres – Past Member of the Board
Called to the Bar
- Ontario (1989)
- LL.B., University of Toronto, 1987
- B.A. with distinction, Queen's University, 1984
- Ontario Bar Association