Glenn Ackerley is the Chair of the Construction Practice Group at WeirFoulds. His practice is focused on construction law, construction liens and construction litigation.
Glenn fills the role of a “project lawyer”, providing ongoing advice from the start through to completion of a project. He represents clients from across the construction industry – including public and private owners, developers, contractors, subtrades, suppliers, and consultants – in a variety of construction-related matters.
He is regularly consulted about negotiating and preparing construction and consultant contracts, procurement and tendering issues, and risk avoidance strategies. When disputes arise, Glenn acts for clients from both the ICI and residential sectors in construction lien and trust claims, bond claims, and construction delay and deficiency claims.
Glenn is active in the industry, participating on boards, committees and working groups to support and improve the industry. Glenn sits on the Board of Directors of the Canadian Construction Association, and is a Past Chairman of the Board of the Toronto Construction Association. He sat on the Executive of the Construction Section of the Ontario Bar Association for many years, and most recently has been a member of the Expert Panel’s Advisory Group on changes to Ontario’s Construction Lien Act.
He developed and taught the Construction Law course at the Department of Architectural Science of Ryerson University for many years. The course covered a whole range of issues, including contract and negligence law, tendering, construction liens, damages and dispute resolution. He has written several published articles and given presentations on legal topics to both industry and legal groups, including seminars at the Ontario General Contractors Association’s Symposiums and the Admission Course of the Ontario Association of Architects.
Appreciating the important role played by alternative dispute resolution, Glenn has trained and gained experience in both mediation and arbitration, acting as counsel, mediator and arbitrator.
Govan Brown & Associates Ltd. v. Equinox 199 Bay Street Co. (2014), 33 C.L.R. (4th) 78 (O.N.S.C.)
1634584 Ontario Inc. v. Canada (Attorney General) (2014), 22 B.L.R. (5th) 118 (O.N.C.A.)
1634584 Ontario Inc. v. Canada (Attorney General) (2013), 22 B.L.R. (5th) 102 (O.N.S.C.)
Aecon Buildings v. Brampton (City) (2010), 328 D.L.R. (4th) 488 (O.N.C.A.)
North America Construction (1993) Ltd. v. York (Municipality) (2009), 84 C.L.R. (3d) 89 (O.N.S.C.)
Aecon Construction and Materials Ltd. v. Brampton (City) (2009), 83 C.L.R. (3d) 144 (O.N.S.C.)
Celebrity Flooring Systems Ltd. v. One Shaftesbury Community Assn. (2006), 55 C.L.R. (3d) 184 (O.N.S.C.)
Builder’s Supplies Ltd II v. 1489683 Ontario Ltd (2005), 43 C.L.R. (3d) 74 (O.N.S.C.)
Buttcon Limited, et al. v. Toronto Electric Commissioners (2003), 65 O.R. (3d) 601 (S.C.J.)
Aquicon Construction Co. v. Vaughan (City) (2003), 29 C.L.R. (3d) 164 (O.N.S.C.)
Celebrity Flooring Systems Ltd. v. One Shaftesbury Community Assn. (2003), 25 C.L.R. (3) 279 (O.N.S.C.)
Toronto Dominion Bank v. Kopman (2000), 46 O.R. (3d) 773 (O.N.C.J.)
North York (City) Official Plan Amendments 269, 277 and 280 (No. 2) (Re) (1988), 22 O.M.B.R. 63
- Repeatedly recognized in the Chambers Canada Guide as a leading lawyer in Construction Law
- Repeatedly recognized in Best Lawyers in Canada as a leading lawyer in Construction Law and as Toronto “Lawyer of the Year” in 2016 and 2018
- Repeatedly recognized in the Canadian Legal Lexpert® Directory as a leading practitioner in Construction Law and Infrastructure Law
- Repeatedly recognized in the Lexpert® Special Edition – Infrastructure
- Repeatedly recognized in the Lexpert®/American Lawyer Guide to the Leading 500 Lawyers in Canada
- Recognized in Lexpert® Guide to US/Canada Cross-Border Lawyers in Canada, 2018, 2019
- Recognized as a leading construction lawyer in Expert Guides’ 2015 Construction and Real Estate Real Expert Guide
- Identified in the International Who’s Who of Public Procurement Lawyers
- Identified in the Chambers Global guide for public procurement for Canada
- Member, Board of Directors – Canadian Construction Association
- Immediate Past Chairman of the Board – Toronto Construction Association
- Arbitrator, Builder Arbitration Forum, Tarion Warranty Corporation
- Member, Council of Ontario Construction Associations – Construction Lien Act Subcommittee
- Instructor, Admission Course, Ontario Association of Architects
- Fellow of the Canadian College of Construction Lawyers
- Past Member, Construction Advisory Council (Ontario)
- Past Instructor, Construction Law, Department of Architectural Science, Ryerson University
- Past Instructor, Construction Law Course, Ontario Road Builders Association/Ontario Sewer and Water Main Construction Association
- Past Instructor, Construction Institute, Toronto Construction Association / George Brown College
Called to the Bar
- Ontario (1989)
- LL.B., University of Toronto, 1987
- B.A., University of Toronto, 1984
- Member of the Construction Section, ADR Institute of Ontario
- The Advocates' Society
- Toronto Lawyers Association
- Past Member at Large of the Executive of the Construction Law Section Ontario Bar Association
- Member of the Ontario General Contractors Association/Ministry of Health and Long Term Care Task Force
- Former Member, Building Committee, Darling (formerly Rose Cherry's) Home for Kids