Ryan Filson has a diverse business law practice. He acts as external general counsel, as well as a transaction specialist, for a wide variety of clients including start-ups, entrepreneurial companies, established Canadian companies and Canadian subsidiaries of US-based or multinational corporations.
In his M&A practice, Ryan represents buyers and sellers in acquisitions and divestitures in the Canadian market, as well as advising on Canadian issues present in international transactions. In his financing practice, he acts for investors or investee corporations and principals in private equity and venture capital transactions and also represents lenders and borrowers in connection with a range of domestic and cross-border commercial lending transactions including credit agreements, asset-based loans, second lien facilities and convertible debentures and notes. In addition, Ryan provides legal advice on a wide variety of other commercial transactions such as service, supply, distribution and procurement agreements and tenders, as well as on management and governance issues.
As the Co-Head of the firm’s Cannabis practice group, Ryan works with a variety of clients in the cannabis industry, including licensed producers and license applicants, and those who finance them.
Ryan regularly advises clients in a wide range of industries including the industrial products, energy efficiency, cannabis, investment banking, alternative energy, manufacturing, contract research, building products, consumer products, and information technology industries.
Among Ryan’s recent transactions are:
- Representing a Fortune 500 company engaged in the wire harness and wire connector business in connection with the acquisition of a business based in Canada with operations and facilities in the US, Mexico and China.
- Representing CannTx Life Sciences Inc., currently an applicant for a Health Canada cannabis license, in connection with a definitive streaming agreement with Cannabis Wheaton Income Corp.
- Representing a number of Canadian subsidiaries of US-based or multinational corporate groups in connection with Canadian aspects of cross border acquisitions, debt financings and reorganizations.
- Representing an established Canadian distributor engaged in the sale and support of equipment, power systems and industrial components in connection with a wide variety of commercial transactions, as well as acquisitions.
- Representing banks and other lenders on various commercial loans, asset-based loans, note issues and cross-border security.
- Representing the sellers of a Canadian medical imaging solutions business to Novacap.
- Representing a variety of alternative energy, utility management and other “green” companies in connection with various acquisitions, sales, financings, and other transactions.
- Acting as Canadian counsel to Canadian Solar Inc., a solar panel manufacturing and projects company, on various corporate and financing transactions.
- Acting as Canadian counsel to US and European based private equity funds on acquisitions of Canadian-based businesses in the medical device, transportation, building products, industrial products and consumer products businesses and related cross border debt financings.
- Representing numerous Toronto-area entrepreneurs in connection with acquisitions, joint ventures and equity and debt financings in a variety of industries.
Called to the Bar
- Ontario (1999)
- LL.B., University of Toronto, 1997
- B.A. (Hons.), University of Saskatchewan, 1993
- The Law Society of Upper Canada
- Canadian Bar Association
- American Bar Association