Shawn English is a Partner in the Corporate & Commercial Practice Group at WeirFoulds LLP.
Shawn’s practice primarily focuses on advising and assisting both early stage and middle-market private companies from a diverse range of industries on a variety of corporate and commercial matters. These matters include acquisition and divestiture transactions, financing transactions (both debt and equity), corporate structuring and reorganizations, corporate governance matters, shareholder disputes and preparation and negotiation of complex commercial agreements.
In his M&A practice, Shawn regularly acts for buyers and sellers on all aspects relating to the acquisition and divestiture process and has represented numerous clients from various industries, including private investment firms, banking groups, distribution companies, advertising companies and utility management companies, helping to negotiate and successfully close multi-million-dollar deals and playing a crucial role in assisting his clients navigate complex M&A transactions from start to finish.
In his commercial practice, Shawn has extensive experience advising and assisting clients with a wide variety of general commercial matters, including advising on personal property security matters and assisting with the preparation and negotiation of various types of commercial agreements, including procurement agreements, distribution agreements, service agreements and equipment lease/financing agreements.
Shawn joined WeirFoulds as an associate after articling with the firm. Prior to receiving his Juris Doctor from the University of Ottawa, he received a Bachelor of Arts, specializing in Political Science, from Western University.
Mergers & Acquisitions:
- Represented a private investment firm on various acquisitions of portfolio companies operating in a range of industries, as well as related acquisition financing transactions
- Represented a globally recognized fitness company specializing in mindful movement fitness equipment and related educational courses and content on its divestiture of a majority stake to a private equity firm
- Represented a leading US-based advertising services and software company on its acquisition of a specialized video rendering company
- Represented a distributor of unified communications and connectivity products in the sale of its shares to a large Canadian distributor
- Represented a telecommunications company on the sale of its assets to a national telecommunications provider
- Represented an international cyber security firm in the sale of its shares to a global professional services firm.
- Represented a cloud-native development company in the sale of its shares to a global IT solutions group.
- Represented a utility management company in connection with its receipt of a minority equity investment from a private equity firm.
- Represented a Canadian subsidiary of a French bank in connection with its minority equity investments and mezzanine financing in a group of pharmacies and a logistics and warehousing business.
- Represented a cannabis management platform company on its acquisition of a licensed cannabis producer.
- Represented a toy production and distribution company in connection with its cross-border business combination with a US-based toy manufacturing and distribution company.
- Represented a market access firm in the healthcare sector on the sale of its assets to a large US-based pharmaceutical company.
- Represented a plastics processing and engineering firm on the acquisition of all of the assets of a machining manufacturer.
General Corporate and Commercial:
- Representing an established Canadian equipment and parts distributor engaged in the sale and servicing of power systems and industrial equipment and related components on a variety of commercial transactions and agreements, as well as acquisitions.
- Representing an equipment financing company on a variety of corporate and commercial matters, including drafting equipment lease and financing agreements and advising on related personal property security matters.
- Representing a utility management company in connection with various commercial matters and procurement agreements.
- Represented a toy production and distribution company in connection with its senior and mezzanine financing and refinancing, as well as corporate restructuring.
Called to the Bar
- Ontario (2017)
- J.D., University of Ottawa, 2016
- B.A. (Political Science), Western University, 2012
- Ontario Bar Association