From the towers of Bay Street to the islands of the Caribbean, the WeirFoulds Caribbean Practice Group combines its expertise as one of Canada’s oldest law firms with its lawyers’ deep understanding of the legal landscape in the Caribbean. We have a wealth of experience litigating precedent-setting cases and advising on complex corporate and contentious trust matters in the Caribbean, so your clients know that when they need help, they will get the high quality of service they have come to expect from you.
In this era of global business, WeirFoulds is at the centre of a network of clients, financial and business advisors, and correspondent lawyers in the Caribbean that has been carefully built over time. The Caribbean Practice Group facilitates the flow of business, information and relationships between Canada, the Caribbean and other international financial centres for its clients.
Where We Help Clients
- Antigua and Barbuda
- British Virgin Islands
- St. Kitts and Nevis
- St. Lucia
- St. Vincent and the Grenadines
- Trinidad and Tobago
- Privy Council
What We Help Clients With
- Commercial Litigation and Arbitration
- Contentious Trusts and Estates
- Mareva Injunctions and other Interim Remedies
- Enforcement of Foreign Judgments and Arbitration Awards
- Regulatory and Antitrust Matters
- E-discovery and Forensic Accounting Investigations
- Appeals, including Privy Council Hearings and Applications
Corporate / Advisory Work
- Anti-Money Laundering, Anti-Bribery and Anti-Corruption Compliance
- Private Clients
- Offshore Trusts and Estates
- International Financial Centre Advice
- Corporate Financing and Banking
- Receivership, Liquidation and Winding-up Applications
- Sourcing/Managing Reputable Local Counsel
- Led the litigation in a US$500 million shareholder dispute over a Nevis LLC occuring in Nevis, BVI, Belize and Colorado.
- Litigated the discharge of extra-territorial freeze orders registered pursuant to anti-money laundering legislation and advised on Mutual Legal Assistance Treaty (MLAT) enforcement, and treaty rights and obligations in these areas.
- Discharged a worldwide freezing order made in Nevis over an Israeli law firm’s assets, a UK trust company and a Nevis trust company. Acted in follow-on trusts litigation alleging misappropriation of trust funds, breach of fiduciary duty and professional misconduct.
- Defeated an application to appeal to the Privy Council over the registration and enforcement of foreign judgments, bringing to an end almost twenty years of litigation before the courts in Canada and the Eastern Caribbean over valuable property in St. Kitts.
- Coordinated and litigated a multi-million dollar dispute between shareholders of an offshore hedge fund, with litigation proceeding in the UK courts and in Nevis.
- Advised majority shareholder on the successful resolution of a billion-dollar shareholder dispute including restructuring and refinancing advice involving multiple jurisdictions.
- Provided expert opinions and litigation support related to banking, trusts and company law in Caribbean offshore jurisdictions.