The WeirFoulds’ Investment Funds Practice Group is comprised of experienced and dedicated professionals who provide strategic, cost-effective, and innovative legal advice to clients in the investment management industry. Our goal is to become a true partner to our clients’ businesses, ensuring that our legal advice addresses their priorities.
Our clients include all types of capital market participants, including advisers, dealers, investment fund managers, directors and executive officers, and other industry service providers. Our group assists clients with a wide array of matters related to the investment management industry.
Members of our Investment Funds Practice Group regularly participate in various industry organizations and committees, including as one of the founding Presidents of the Private Capital Markets Association of Canada™ (PCMA), formerly the Exempt Market Dealers Association, Chair of the National Exempt Market Association’s (NEMA) Compliance & Regulatory Affairs Committee, the Investment Funds Institute of Canada (IFIC), and the AML/ATF Public/Private Sector Advisory Committee (PPSAC).
Our services include:
- Investment Products – Providing advice on the formation, structuring, management, and distribution of all types of investment products, including mutual funds, open and closed-end trusts and corporations, public funds, pooled funds, segregated accounts, flow-through limited partnerships, private equity and venture capital funds, real estate investment trusts (REITs), and mortgage investment entities.
- Tax Advice – Structuring investments that can be held in RRSPs and other deferred tax plans, structuring tax-efficient investment management compensation, and advising on withholding tax and other tax compliance matters arising in the investment fund industry.
- Litigation and Regulatory Proceedings – Providing representation and advising on audits, compliance reviews, and investigations, as well as registration and enforcement proceedings, other regulatory proceedings, and parallel civil and quasi-criminal proceedings.
- Transactional and Corporate – Acting for investment fund managers, advisers, and dealers in a broad range of transactional and corporate related matters, and drafting and negotiating related agreements.
- Registration – Assisting firms and individuals with registration matters with securities regulators and membership matters with self-regulatory organizations.
- Compliance – Providing registrants and other capital market participants with ongoing advice regarding all types of compliance and regulatory matters, including exemptive relief applications.