Emma is an associate in the firm’s Commercial Litigation Practice Group.
Her practice includes media and defamation, professional liability, and aviation law, as well as commercial and general civil litigation.
Emma has appeared before all levels of court in Ontario, as well as the Federal Court of Canada. She is experienced in drafting pleadings, affidavits, and facta, conducting complex research, and advising clients on novel matters.
Emma also practises in the areas of information technology and intellectual property law with a focus on high tech and Internet-based companies. She acts for companies from all industries in order to assist them when they are customers or providers of technology, and with their privacy and other compliance needs.
Prior to joining WeirFoulds, Emma gained experience at both a boutique litigation firm and a national full-service firm in Toronto.
Emma has also worked as an Associate Producer in local and national current affairs at the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation.
- Toronto (City) v. Ontario (Attorney General), 2018 ONCA 761 (represented the intervener, the City Clerk of the City of Toronto, in high profile litigation regarding Toronto’s ward structure in advance of the municipal election)
- Core Insight Strategies Inc. v. Advanced Symbolics, 2019 ONSC 2109 (successfully resisted a motion to add as a party to a commercial dispute an individual who filed access to information requests alleged to be defamatory)
- A.P. v. L.K., 2019 ONSC 4010 (opposed publication ban and sealing order on behalf of media conglomerate)
- Lotin v. Gregor, 2019 ONSC 1510 (represented the defendant/respondent on a defamation summary judgment motion)
- Codina v. Canadian Broadcasting Corporation, 2020 ONCA 116 (represented the respondents on a motion resulting in the dismissal of the appeal of CBC’s successful anti-SLAPP motion)
- Mpamugo v. FlightHub Canada Inc., 2021 ONSC 1671 (represented the moving party in a motion to strike a claim against air carriers and an online travel agency for approximately $8 million relating to a missed flight)
- Savary v. Tarion, 2021 ONSC 2409 (represented a media outlet and journalists in a motion to strike claims relating to a broadcast about an Ontario builder)
- Berenguer v. SATA Internacional – Azores Airlines, S.A., 2021 FC 394 (represented an air carrier in a motion to strike a claim relating to compensation under EU261 for flight delays for want of jurisdiction and simultaneously opposed a motion to certify the action as a class proceeding)
- Member-at-Large, Ontario Bar Association’s Entertainment, Media and Communications Law Section Executive, 2020-2021, 2021 – 2022
- Member-at-Large, Ontario Bar Association’s Young Lawyers Division (Central) Section Executive, 2020-2021
- Member, The Advocates’ Society
Called to the Bar
- Ontario (2018)
- J.D., Faculty of Law, University of Toronto, 2017
- B.A. (Honours), Journalism, University of King’s College, 2013
- Ontario Bar Association
- The Advocates' Society
- Cast Member, Nightwood Theatre’s Lawyer Show, 2018-2020
- Regular contributor to the International Law Office newsletter on Canadian aviation matters