Emma is an associate in the firm’s Commercial Litigation Practice Group with diverse experience in civil litigation.
Her practice includes media and defamation, professional liability, and aviation law, as well as commercial and general civil litigation.
Emma has appeared before all levels of court in Ontario, as well as the Federal Court of Canada. She is experienced in drafting pleadings, affidavits, and facta, conducting complex research, and advising clients on novel matters.
Prior to joining WeirFoulds, Emma gained experience at both a boutique litigation firm and a national full-service firm in Toronto.
Emma has also worked as an Associate Producer in local and national current affairs at the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation.
- Toronto (City) v. Ontario (Attorney General), 2018 ONCA 761 (represented the intervener, the City Clerk of the City of Toronto, in high profile litigation regarding Toronto’s ward structure in advance of the municipal election)
- Core Insight Strategies Inc. v. Advanced Symbolics, 2019 ONSC 2109 (successfully resisted a motion to add as a party to a commercial dispute an individual who filed access to information requests alleged to be defamatory)
- A.P. v. L.K., 2019 ONSC 4010 (opposed publication ban and sealing order on behalf of media conglomerate)
- Lotin v. Gregor, 2019 ONSC 1510 (represented the defendant/respondent on a defamation summary judgment motion)
- Codina v. Canadian Broadcasting Corporation, 2020 ONCA 116 (represented the respondents on a motion resulting in the dismissal of the appeal of CBC’s successful anti-SLAPP motion)
- Member-at-Large, Ontario Bar Association’s Entertainment, Media and Communications Law Section Executive, 2020-2021
- Member-at-Large, Ontario Bar Association’s Young Lawyers Division (Central) Section Executive, 2020-2021
- Member, The Advocates’ Society
Called to the Bar
- Ontario (2018)
- J.D., Faculty of Law, University of Toronto, 2017
- B.A. (Honours), Journalism, University of King’s College, 2013
- Ontario Bar Association
- The Advocates' Society
- Cast Member, Nightwood Theatre’s Lawyer Show, 2018-2020
- Regular contributor to the International Law Office newsletter on Canadian aviation matters