Krista Chaytor is an experienced litigator with a practice focused on business litigation.
Krista has experience litigating a large number of business disputes, including those related to commercial leasing, construction, real estate, shareholder rights and remedies, and employment.
Krista is adept at handling complex business litigation. She has appeared before all levels of Ontario courts, numerous tribunals and the Federal Court. Krista also has experience in alternative dispute resolution and effectively provides advice and opinions that result in practical business solutions for her clients.
- a national landlord in the enforcement of a redevelopment clause in a commercial lease
- a national landlord in connection with the enforceability of an Offer to Lease
- numerous landlords in connection with disputes concerning the calculation of common area maintenance costs
- a national tenant in connection with the wrongful termination of a retail lease
- numerous landlords in connection with the interpretation of the use clause in a retail lease
- numerous employers in connection with the misappropriation of confidential business information
- a commercial tenant of an office lease in connection with construction deficiencies in the landlord’s work
- minority shareholders of a parent corporation in connection with oppressive conduct of the majority shareholder in depleting corporate assets of the parent and subsidiary companies
- a public authority in connection with the scope of an official mark
Fairweather Ltd. v. RioCan YEC Holdings Inc. 2010 ONSC 6445 (CanLII)
Hashem v. 2069513 Ontario Ltd. (2010), 92 R.P.R. (4th) 224 (Ont. Div. Ct.)
Hashem v. 2069513 Ontario Ltd. (2009), 82 R.P.R. (4th) 292 (Ont. S.C)
Kirwan v. Silver Brooke Golf Course Inc. (2006), 46 R.P.R. (4th) 104
Prism Data Services Ltd. v. Neopost Inc. (2003), 124 A.C.W.S. (3d) 461
Cadogan v. Lavigne (2000), 98 A.C.W.S. (3d) 69
Society of Composers, Authors and Music Publishers of Canada v. Armitage (2000), 50 O.R. (3d) 688 (C.A.)
- Recognized by Best Lawyers in Canada as a leading lawyer in Construction Law, 2021
Called to the Bar
- Ontario (2000)
- J.D., University of Toronto, 1998
- B.Comm. (Hons.), Memorial University of Newfoundland, 1995
- Undergraduate Certificate in International Business, ESC Rennes School of Business, 1994
- Canadian Bar Association
- Ontario Bar Association
- Metropolitan Toronto Lawyers Association
- The Advocates' Society
- Canadian Association of Women in Construction
- Women in Capital Markets
- Co-author (with Michael Swartz and Brian Kuchar), “Pandemic Pandemonium! Construction Claims and COVID-19”, Piling Canada Q2, 2020
- Co-author (with Michael Swartz), “Getting Ready for Prompt Payment in Ontario: Other provinces are likely to follow suit”, Canadian Petroleum Contractor Magazine, Canadian Petroleum Contractor Association, December 2019.