David Thompson is a highly distinguished leasing lawyer. Since 1989, his practice has focused on commercial leasing and development law, negotiating large and complex retail, commercial, mixed-use, ground and industrial leasing transactions across Canada, for some of the most significant clients in the field.
David regularly acts for landlords, tenants, lenders and property managers. As a partner at WeirFoulds, he has acted for some of Canada’s most well-known national chains in food services and retail. He also regularly works on leases for venues such as shopping malls, historical sites, sports facilities, pads, strip centres and hospitals.
He has negotiated and finalized leases, offers, subleases and letter agreements (for land leases, turnkeys and pad deals). He also has extensive experience with joint venture agreements, development agreements, cross easements and all the issues related to the development, sale and/or acquisition of land, including heritage site designations and all ancillary documentation. David is also well versed at providing legal opinions on lease interpretation and other leasing matters.
As well as providing unparalleled support to his clients, David has been repeatedly recognized in the Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory as a leading property leasing lawyer. He is also a sought-after presenter for national leasing and real estate conferences, including speaking at events for the Law Society and The International Council of Shopping Centers (ICSC).
Handles leasing needs for national retailers with locations across Canada.
Handles leasing matters for national landlords with centres across Canada.
Handles leasing matters regarding warehouse and office leases across Canada.
- Recognized by Best Lawyers® in Canada 2019 as a leading lawyer in Commercial Leasing Law
- Recognized in the 2018 Canadian Legal Lexpert® Directory as a leading lawyer in Property Leasing
- Recognized by Best Lawyers® in Canada 2018 as a leading lawyer in Commercial Leasing Law
- Recognized in the 2017 Canadian Legal Lexpert® Directory as a leading lawyer in Property Leasing
- Recognized by Best Lawyers® in Canada 2017 as a leading lawyer in Commercial Leasing Law
- Recognized in the 2016 Canadian Legal Lexpert® Directory as a leading lawyer in Property Leasing
- Recognized in the 2015 Canadian Legal Lexpert® Directory as a leading lawyer in Property Leasing
Former Bar Admission course instructor for Legal Writing.
Called to the Bar
- Ontario (1989)
- Alberta (1995)
- LL.B., University of Western Ontario, 1987
- B.Sc., University of Toronto, 1986
- Canadian Bar Association
- Ontario Bar Association
- International Council of Shopping Centres
- Canadian Corporate Counsel Association