Chantal deSereville is an associate in the Municipal Law Practice Group at WeirFoulds. Chantal assists both private entities and public bodies in navigating municipal, land use planning, environmental, administrative and constitutional law issues.
In addition to helping clients obtain and respond to development applications and appeals, Chantal provides legal opinions on planning policy matters and assists clients with a variety of court applications and provincial offences proceedings.
Chantal obtained both civil law and common law degrees from McGill University in 2017. During law school, Chantal was active in the community, volunteering at multiple community legal clinics in Montreal. She was a teaching assistant for first year contract law and served as a student advocate at McGill’s Student Advocacy Centre, where she represented students accused of academic integrity infractions.
- Worked with a team of lawyers to respond to a Superior Court application seeking to enjoin the client from making certain uses of land within a municipality
- Represented a business owner at a provincial offences trial pertaining to an alleged municipal business licensing by-law violation
- Assisted a public interest group in the judicial review of a government-issued environmental permit
- Recipient, Alex Woo Entrance Scholarship for Academic Merit, McGill University Faculty of Law, 2013
- Assistant coach for the Western Law Team at the Willms & Shier Environmental Law Moot Competition, 2019
- Judge at the Western Faculty of Law Lerners Cup Moot Competition, 2019
Called to the Bar
- Ontario (2018)
- B.C.L/LL.B, McGill University, 2017
- B.A. (Honours), English Literature, University of Waterloo, 2013
- French (Professional working proficiency)
- Former law student volunteer at the Mile End Legal Clinic and the Tyndale Legal Clinic in Montreal
PM Springfest 2023
Counsel Jeff Cowan, partners Robert Eisenberg and Ryan Morris, and associate Chantal deSereville will all speak at the 2023 PM Springfest on Thursday, April 20, 2023. PM…View Event
Speaker, "Legal and Regulatory Issues Facing Owners and Property Mangers", PM Springfest, Toronto, ON, April 20, 2023
- Author, “How Ontario Regulates the Prevention and Containment of Forest Fires”, The Lawyers Daily, August 14, 2018