In today’s globally competitive marketplace, companies have no choice but to continually innovate. Frequently, this process involves adopting new information technology systems. In this process, it is essential to be supported by legal counsel that is attuned to your business needs and the latest developments in the tech industry.
Our lawyers assist a range of clients – from established public corporations to new start-ups – with all of their information technology needs. We draft technology transfer agreements and negotiate distribution and licensing agreements. We assist with outsourcing and procurement arrangements. We also advise on privacy obligations, data security and prudent social media practices.
We take a multi-disciplinary approach to information technology files, engaging our commercial, intellectual property, privacy and litigation experts as necessary to ensure our clients receive excellent advice that is tailored to their needs.
Meet our lawyers and professionals in this area
Areas of Expertise
- Cloud computing
- Data security
- Domain names
- Encryption infrastructures
- Internet technology
- Personal information protection
- Risk management
- Social media
We assist our clients in all types of technology-related transactions. Our services include:
- structuring and preparing agreements regarding technology transactions including financings, M&A, joint ventures and e-commerce.
- counselling clients regarding the protection, exploitation, registration and enforcement of proprietary rights in digital technologies including computer software and computer databases.
- helping clients develop new technologies through research agreements.
- preparing software license, software development and outsourcing agreements.
- working with independent contractors and their customers to ensure that ownership of technology and deliverables are dealt with appropriately.
We also perform extensive work for clients related to Internet technology. This work includes:
- preparing and reviewing Internet service provider contracts.
- reviewing the availability of domain names and resolving domain name disputes.
- consulting on Internet security, copyright infringement and defamation.
- Acted for York Region Rapid Transit Corporation in a major IT procurement, and provided licensing/support and service arrangement advice in connection with hardware and software for the Intelligent Transportation Systems.
- Acted for St. Marys Cement in the review document retention policies.
- Negotiated a contract on behalf of a major retailer for the implementation and acquisition of wide area network and internet services at over 550 locations in Ontario including head office facilities.
- Guided a key developer of health technology in connection with the establishment of a research and business relationship with a public company including the creation of a joint venture.
- Assisted a statutory board regarding the commencement of the sale of government-controlled products on the Internet.
- Acted for a major municipal police force in Ontario, and other public emergency personnel, in acquiring a digital radio system, which consisted of both hardware and software components with a purchase price that exceeded $35 million.